A blog from Tonto Books, featuring musings from the publishing world and some occasional special guest appearances.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Stu Recommends

As these will be the last blogs before Christmas and starting back in 2008, we thought we'd put some recommendations up.

BOOKS
It has been difficult to find the time to read for pleasure this year, as much of my time at Tonto and at home has been taken up by reading manuscripts. When I've got the time, I always seem to drift back to the same books. The first being 'Filth' by Irvine Welsh. His writing is an acquired taste, but once tasted, something you'll never forget. If new to Welsh, I'd recommend going for some of his earlier works before attempting this one. On my Christmas list this year is his latest book of short stories, 'If You Liked School, You'll Love Work'.


Being a massive Paul Weller fan it was great to see two Weller books out this year - Paul Weller: The Changing Man by Paolo Hewitt and Suburban 100, by Weller.

For me, Suburban left me wanting to hear more about what inspired the songs, what they were based on... everything. I think many Weller Geeks felt the same but it was amazing to hear the man himself telling us about the songs and not just some journo assuming what they were about (and I got a signed copy). The cover is brilliant too, with artwork by Sir Peter Blake.

We're going to be working with some very interesting writers next year, so I'm very much looking forward to a productive New Year!

FILM


The best film I've seen this year has to be The Last King of Scotland. Forest Whittaker gives an outstanding performance in this tense and fast paced film, based on the novel by Giles Foden. It is one of those films that leaves you stunned... I hope Santa remembers to bring this one as well.

Stu

No comments: